International Medical Placement & Information Network 
ALDA Medical Placement  &  Information Network

Alda Canada Program

Our knowledgeable staff will assist you in understanding and fulfilling immigration requirements.

Canadian citizens that are Registered Nurses may work in the US under provisions set by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).Access Nurses will assist you through the entire process, including entry requirements for family with you.

Entering the US
As a Canadian citizen, you must enter the US from a designated port of entry. These include:

  • Any INS (Immigration & Naturalization Service) checkpoint at a US/Canada or US/Mexico border
  • International airports in foreign countries where INS conducts pre-inspection
  • Airports in the US that receive travelers from foreign countries

To be eligible to enter the US under NAFTA, you must present the following documents:

  • RN education diploma
  • Signed, original employment offer letter from US employer.Alda Professional Placement  will provide for you
  • Canadian birth or naturalization certificate and/or passport providing Canadian citizenship for everyone traveling
  • Port of Entry/INS processing fee $50 USD base fee and $6 USD for each person
  • Marriage certificate of any other evidence of legal name changes
  • Current Canadian RN license (advisable, not required)
  • Current RN license for state of intended employment (See licensure below)
Please note that all documents must be originals or certified copies. Documents must be prepared in English. Certified translations may be accepted. Non-Canadian citizen dependents of Canadian nurses may require other arrangements.

Once Port of Entry processing is complete, the INS officer will issue an arrival/departure record card to each applicant. Typically, this is for a period of 12 months. This card is called an I-94 document and is the authorization to work and live in the United States.

In addition to providing the above documentation, Canadian nurses must possess valid United States Nursing License.

  • Visa Screen Certificate - This certificate will be required by U.S. Immigration after July 24, 2004, for all nonimmigrant and immigrant healthcare workers to gain entrance into the United States to work on a TN Visa. In order to receive your Visa Screen Certificate, you must have passed either NCLEX-RN or the CGFNS exam and you must apply for your Visa Screen through the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. Issuance of the Visa Screen can be lengthy so we encourage you to start the application process now. For more information and to apply for the Visa Screen Certificate and/or the CGFNS exam, please visit the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing School's web site at

Please note that some US states accept Canadian licensure:

New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Virgin Islands

For states that accept Canadian licensure, the entire immigration process may only take a few days. For all other states, the process typically takes 1 to 3 months.

Click on continue for more information on licensure.

© Copyright Alda Technologies, Inc. [HOME]